Friday, June 17, 2011

Blossoming Sewing Boxes



I came up with this idea for a sewing box one day while digging through my old sewing box.  It’s always been a mess – and kind of boring.  One of the most important factors when I design something is that it should have a practical use. (My Faeries Excluded!!!)  The wallets I make – I actually use.  I love having my I.D. and Credit Cards so easily accessible - and I love that I have a place to put the tons of wallet size photos I get from my family.  I have two brothers and five sisters – so I have A LOT of family photos!
That in mind; this is also the way I was thinking when I came up with the Blossoming Sewing Box.  I wanted a sewing box that had compartments that I could put my sewing supplies in and access easily.  I also wanted my sewing box to be WIDE open…and not something that I have to dig through to find my thread and needles.  Finally, I wanted it to be a box I could proudly display anywhere in my house, and take on the go.  I also LOVE magnets, because I’ve never found a magnet I couldn’t put to good use.  Having magnets as part of my sewing box has made my crafting life a breeze and far from disorganized . I have lost so many stickpins and needles that I’m  sure  I’m responsible for creating a needle stack somewhere that should have a piece of hay in it.  With magnets on the sides of my sewing box – I just move my hand by the sewing box and the needle is pulled in and kept safe for me.  This sewing box is pure happiness for me, it looks like a flower and it holds its own weight in practicality.

My goal is to make two more of these for my Etsy shop and then to start custom making them for my shop customers.

Mardi

8 comments:

  1. What a fantastic, fun, and wonderful idea! So creative! :) I really love it! I just Favorited the black/silver one... After we move and I know what my new address will be, I plan on ordering one!!!

    Newest Follower,
    Laurie

    http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laurie, for a most appreciated compliment! I'd love to make you one. I make custom made ones too - so you get to pick out the fabrics! I'll be here when you are ready to order!

    I hope your move goes well, and easy!
    *great big hug*

    Mardi

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps to Laurie - I'm now following your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg i am in love with this sewing box & now i need one ~sigh~ canada post on strike must go favourite one for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on Canada Post! Work it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a wonderful idea! It's so beautiful! I adore the blue and green one. I never have liked how sewing boxes are organized but that looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I found you through the etsy blog team! I love what you've made, I'm not much of a sewer but this is so pretty :) I'm your newest follower!

    -rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you sooooo much Rachel! You've made my day!

    ReplyDelete